Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thankful

Last night, as I was laying in my bed Thanksgiving Eve, I felt a sense of comfort.

A cold rain was beating down on the roof, but I was cozy and warm in my bed under the greatest invention in the world: the electric blanket. In their rooms, my two daughters were warm and cozy in their beds. And in each of the three bedrooms were one of our 3 dogs: Ringo laying on the comforter at end of Elise's bed. Charlie with Laura. Little Tami with me. Elise has been away at college and this was her first night in her own bed in 3 months. Just then, right then...for those 10 seconds, all was right with the world.

There is no rational reason why I was born into this time and place. Born in this wonderful country, to loving parents; reared in a nurturing home. Why am I not in some third world country; hungry and cold? Or in a war-torn country where my experience in bed last night would be quite different...listening to artillery fire as I hid under the covers instead of listening to my dog's steady breathing.

It is only by God's grace I am in my skin... and living my life...certainly nothing I have done makes me deserving of my many blessings.

It bugs me when others do it...but I'm so guilty of it, too. Complaining about the things I want, and don't have...instead of appreciating what I do have. So today, appropriately on Thanksgiving Day, I'm going to spend some time being thankful for my many blessings.

I am thankful for my health. That I can put each foot on the floor and pull myself out of bed, pain free, when there are so many others who can't.

I am thankful for my senses: the weather may be dreary but I can see the grey sky with healthy (but aging) eyes. I can feel the sting of the sleet on my skin, and smell the wet leaves outside...and the food cooking inside.

I am thankful for my family: my two daughters, home safely, my extended family who I will see later today.

I am thankful for the technology of air travel, that brought so many home to their loved ones without incident or delay.

I am thankful for my many friends...who I have sent and received holiday emails and texts from over the last 24 hours.

I am thankful for relationships that have been mended; even though not fully resolved.

As I approach the one year anniversary of my current job...I am thankful that so many of my coworkers have turned into my friends, and are like an extended family. As dysfunctional as we all may be!

And I am thankful for a loving God, who has so richly blessed me.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: