Monday, March 16, 2009

Stuff I'm Thankful For

The lousy economic news hit a little closer to home recently, as one of my colleagues lost his job, and another good friend and her husband lost their home. I can't help but ponder the unfairness of all this as I think about how those AIG Execs are probably sitting around planning how to spend their bonuses. And the really frightening thing is that no one, not the IRS or even the President of the United States has the power to fix all the craziness.

I spent some time with my girlfriend this past Saturday night, and I was inspired by her attitude. Yes, they had lost their home, but, she said, they had so much to be thankful for. They were staying with her husband's mom, who loved having them. Her daughter was forging a new special relationship with her grandma. She and her husband now had some breathing room with some of the stress of the home loss behind them. They were looking forward. Things would get better she said. And, things could be worse. Wow. What a perspective.

One of my new favorite blogs to follow is called "Diary of A Frugal Hen Without A Rooster". Ms Hen has been through a lot in her life, struggles that would have others laying down and giving up. But often, God gives people amazing challenges, and then gives them some kind of a forum so that they can help others. And this is what He has seemingly done with both of these women. One of the things Ms. Hen does occasionally is jot down a list of the things she's thankful for. When I came home from work today, I was feeling a little down and blue, but then I thought to myself "snap out of it"! If others with worse problems than me are able to get up every morning, face the day and put one foot in front of the other and get on with life--than I can too. And I took a page out of the Frugal Hen's blog and made my own list:

I'm thankful for...

My health
My precious daughters
This roof over my head
Ringo, Tami and Charlie; always here to keep me company when I am lonely
My job, and that its one I enjoy
My eyesight, even though I complain I need reading glasses
My 6 siblings
The wrinkles around my eyes. I guess I must smile a lot
Every sunny day we get
My God
Hazelnut coffee
My digital camera
Stoli black martinis
The fireplace in my family room
My car with 133,000 miles and still running, and paid for!
Phil
The fenced in yard
Friends who inspire me
Co-workers I like
Good music
Red wine
This computer I'm typing on
Facebook
Fuzzy footie socks
M&M's

I know I could come up with more but I am getting tired, and I'm thankful I have a bed to go to sleep in. The next time you have the blues, might I suggest creating your own list.

It really is a great reminder than things aren't so bad after all.

3 comments:

Cliff said...

MsHen always has a way of making lemonade out of the lemons thrown her way. It's always good finding people using these blogs to show us how much a blessing the little things can be.

Ms Hen's said...

Sue... You too have a GREAT ATTITUDE. I just read your post, "What Are You Waiting For?".... and what a good message to send to others.

I'm sorry about the loss of your dear husband. ((((hugs)))).

I thank you for all the kind words you wrote here too.

I'm GRATEFUL I found your blog through Cliff's. I love your writing style.. how you express yourself.

Enjoy this day...

Leesa said...

Thanks for the message. I needed to read it today.