Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Resolution

Although New Year’s Day is the first holiday of the year, because it follows Christmas and is in the dead of winter, to me it never really felt like the new beginning it was suppose to. I was never much of a new year’s resolution person anyway, so to me it was the day to clean up after the old year!

Easter Sunday, however, represents New Beginnings to me. To Christian Believers, Easter Sunday is the most celebrated of all Christian holdiays, because the concept of Easter is the foundation of our faith.

That Jesus Christ was born, lived for 30 some years and died can be documented through the writings of his followers. There are many who may not believe that this man was the son of God but concede that there was an historical Jesus who walked the earth and did great things: as a healer, teacher/rabbi, and philosopher. They concede that He was seen to be a threat to those in charge, so they arrested him as though he were a common criminal on a Thursday, tortured him through the next several hours; crucified him on Friday and laid him in a tomb, hoping that would be the end of it.

If the story ended there, however, we wouldn’t still be talking about it some 2000 years later. If he really was "just a great man" who like so many others, lived and died in a tumultuous time under the oppressive Roman rule of that day, why did His story capture the hearts and minds of so many that even to this day they put their lives at risk for their faith in Him?

The story didn’t end on that Friday because Easter Sunday happened. Easter Sunday is the foundation of the Christian faith, because the basis of Christianity is not just that this man Jesus Christ lived and died, but that he overcame death when He rose on Easter Sunday.

Today, to me represents New Beginnings, and although the weather is not cooperating, it feels like the beginning of Spring and the beginning of a new year. So, I am going to take this opportunity to make and work to keep a few resolutions that I didn’t make on New Year’s Day; to improve my life and the lives of those around me that I can affect. To work hard to make the world a better place, with something as simple as a smile or a random act of kindness, or something larger that I may not know is coming until God puts it in front of me.

Want to join me in this resolution?

Happy Easter.

No comments: