Sunday, October 21, 2007

Role Reversal


Mom and Elise

After years of trying to do the right thing, trying to act in a way my children may want to emulate, the mother/daughter role reversed for me a bit this past week. My daughter, Elise, did something that not only made me proud, in doing so she set an example for me to want to follow.

I've missed church a lot lately. In my mind I had good excuses. So few days off...so much to do around the house and so few nice weather days to do them. I'm a little under the weather...want to sleep in...blah blah. All poor excuses, but I rationalized that at the time, that they made sense.

Then, last Sunday afternoon, I was on the phone with Elise. She's 3 hours behind me in San Francisco, so it was Sunday morning for her. I asked her what the noise was in the background and she explained she was on a bus on the way home from church. I was surprised because there was a church within walking distance from her apartment. She said she found one she liked better, but it was a little further, and that she had to take two different busses to get there and home. Each bus ride was 20 minutes with a transfer in-between.

As I listened to her tell me about the sermon at Mass and what she got out of it, I thought about the fact that I didn't go to church that morning. I have a car, and live less than 10 minutes from my church, and I didn't go....while she took 2 busses, on a chilly rainy morning so she could get to church.

This morning I got up and went to church, grateful for the example my daughter set for me.

No comments: