Monday, July 12, 2010

Songs That Make You Feel Something

I just love music. I'm not a musician or a song writer, but I feel I have the heart and soul of one because I there are times I can just FEEL a song so deeply. Since I was young I have always found that a song that could somehow express what I couldn't to describe where I was in my life. And sometimes no lyrics are needed to soothe my soul. Man...there's nothing like a sweet, soulful guitar riff...Or the sounds of a simple acoustic solo piano piece.

There are just those songs that were there for me when I needed them. Songs that describe a situation where someone was able to get inside your head and express what you can't, making you feel so not alone, and proving that we are all probably more alike than different.

You've been there, right? Your first heart break. That one coming-of-age summer. A family vacation. A party song.

I've been loading my ipod with songs from my collection from all eras. From Jackson Brown and Van Morrison to 80's rock to Eric Church and Miranda Lambert songs. Yesterday I had my ipod playing on shuffle when a song came on that I could totally relate to right now. At this exact point of my life. It's a song from several years ago, mid 1990's, by Trisha Yearwood. It's one of those cool album cuts that may not have been a huge chart hit, but it sure hit me yesterday.

At this point in my life, I'm getting use to the fact that I don't have the same responsibilities I use to when it comes to my role as a parent. For the last 8 years I spent my time and energy on my girls, and my work. As a single parent, supporting my family financially and emotionally had been my focus. "I need to get them through high school. I'll start thinking about what I'm gonna do in 4 years", I'd think. So I'd save for school clothes. Car insurance. College. No risk taking. Moderation has always been my philosophy.

So now, with both girls out of the house I've started to think more about what I want to do next. There's sort of a freedom that I am realizing I have and it is both scary and exhilarating at the same time. So, when this song came on yesterday I didn't expect it to hit me the way it did, but it did. And I hit replay like 3 times and decided this will be my new theme song...at least for now.

I thought I'd share :-). But you gotta go look it up on itunes and listen. It's so much better set to music.

I Want To Go Too Far performed by Trisha Yearwood

Everything in moderation, that's the way it's always been
Never gettin' out of control - never hanging it out
Always reelin' it in

I saved my money for a rainy day
But now I've had enough of playin' it safe

I wanna go too far, I wanna go too fast
Somebody draw the line so I can blow right past
I wanna spend too much, I wanna stay too late
I'm gonna roar too loud, I'm gonna be that way
I wanna play too hard, I wanna go too far

I'm the one they all depend on
Sensible, predictable, and strong
But every now and then,
I feel like I've played that role too long
I need to rock the boat, I need to speak my mind
Just this once let it all unwind

I wanna go too far, I wanna go too fast
Somebody draw the line so I can blow right past
I wanna spend too much, I wanna stay too late
I'm gonna roar too loud, I'm gonna be that way
I wanna play too hard, I wanna go too far

I've gotta set this spirit free
That's hiding here inside
I feel like a bird in a cage
It's time for me to fly

I wanna spend too much, I wanna stay too late
I'm gonna roar too loud, I'm gonna be that way
I wanna play too hard, I wanna go too far

Album: Thinkin' About You
Songwriter(s): Kent Robbins, Layng Jr Martine
Release Date: January 1, 1995
Label: MCA Records

Is there a song that fits a place you've been?

No comments: