Sunday, February 22, 2009

Changes In Latitude...Changes In Attitude

Can a change of physical space really change our mood, our outlook and perception of a situation...in effect: our attitude?

I admit that while I am a normally a person with an overall sunny disposition, the gray skies of Northeast Ohio this winter has been especially trying on me. I can take the cold. But I can't get used to day after day of gray. However, I know that a positive attitude is crucial for survival in any situation...whether it is surviving a Northeast Ohio winter, or a trying situation personally or professionally.

The last 2 weekends, I've been blessed enough to have been able to get away; first to visit my daughter in San Francisco, and the second to visit my sister in Fort Myers.I have to say the sunshine has had a therapeutic effect on me. San Francisco's weather was not remarkably warm, and even Ft Myers was cool by their standards, but the sunshine and blue skies made all the difference. I laughed as the temperature fell into the 50's and everyone turned their heat on. When it hit 50 in Akron 2 weeks ago, I saw a man driving with the top down on his convertible!

I am contemplating how to I am going to keep this attitude of sunshine with me when I land. I've been listening to the audio version of the book "The Secret" on my Ipod, and I believe the overall message, that how we think affects how we feel. Further, our thoughts can have a profound effect on the outcome of our lives. The idea that attitude is everything.

This is not a new concept. It's been written about in many books including Norman Vincent Peale's best seller "The Power Of Positive Thinking". The Secret, however, is a slightly different expression of this age old theme, perfected.

The Secret explains the Law Of Attraction. The Universal Concept that "like attracts like".

Think about it: aren't there some people who exude an energy that just feels good to be around? They smile, they make you feel good when you talk to them; they light up a room when they are in it. Often, if you spend any time getting to know these people you may find that they have had challenges in life that, when compared to your own, are at the very least the same, and often, worse. Conversely, there are people who exude negative energy. They complain about everything, even things that in context, don't seem to be as bad as others face with a better outlook.

Negatively surrounds some while others positivity surrounds others because, The Secret explains, within the The Law Of Attraction; energy, like a magnet, will attract similar energy. In effect, you will get what you put your energy and focus on, whether wanted or unwanted, whether you are thinking good or bad. Your thoughts (both conscious and unconscious) dictate the reality of your life. So, essentially if you really want something and truly believe it's possible, and you put positive thought and energy into it, you'll get it. If you focus on the negative, putting attention and thought onto something you don't want means you'll probably get that too.

While much of what is in this book gets a bit ethereal and new agey...I have found these overall concepts to be true. When things go wrong and I am focused on how wrong they are going, the day gets worse. If I can switch my attitude, and focus on how things will go better, things do improve.

You may not be able to control whether the sun comes out in Northeast Ohio, but you can control you sunny disposition. A smile can light up a room. Praise can counter a harsh word. Calm can diffuse tension. Empathy is salve on a wounded soul.

Hanging on my refrigerator at home, and the door of my office as well as the bulletin board of my co-worker and friend Chuck Collins,( which is why we get along so well :-) is the best quote I have ever ready about Attitude. It is by Charles Swindell, who said:

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes."

Surround yourself with people who have a positive outlook on life. Extricate from your life those who suck the life out of you with their negative outlook.

Think sunshine and it will come...even if in our hearts and minds.

4 comments:

tony10000 said...

One of my favorite Swindoll quotes:

"We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations."

Charles R. Swindoll

Cliff said...

Excellent post Sue.

Too often we encounter people who look at the world through (garbage) colored glasses and they are the types who brighten up a room by leaving it.

I enjoy using phrases like "better than I deserve" and super good but getting better" when asked how I'm doing. I know I ripped off those from Dave Ramsey and Zig Ziglar, but those will get me a smile from those I say them to.

Another thing I enjoy doing is when I'm going through the checkout line, saying after the transaction is over "have a great day, and thank you for working at Giant Eagle." That's also something that gets me smiles.

I like getting smiles and I find out the best way to get smiles is to give them. You find out that this is a great investment and when you need one, there will be plenty for the taking.

Anonymous said...

Wow.. I'm glad I took Cliff's advise from his blog.

I've been going to Al-Anon for 19 months.. and we talk about 'An Attitude of Gratitude'; and keeping the focus on Positive thinking.

Al-Anon is not like AA.

In Al-Anon we don't concentrate on the qualifiers in our lives; we learn to concentrate on ourselves and avoid negative codependencies.

Last week I read on a fellow blogger... The Golden Rule is to do unto others as you would them to do onto you.

The Silver Rule is do NOT do anything for someone they can do for themselves.

I make sure here in NYC to smile and say Good Morning to each bus driver ..etc. If someone has a name tag on I'll use their name and say Thank you Mary.

I make sure to give genuine (must be true) compliments.. whether it is an 80 year old Beautiful Blue Eye...etc.

I'm a bit hard headed too. I've been on my own since 17 (after an abusive child hood) and other things; and I can't be around people that complain and complain when they have nothing that bad to complain about (but I'm kind hearted and full of empathy when someone really has an issue and need the support of their friends).

In Al-Anon we say .. if you complain more than 3 times to 3 different people than it is Obsession; time to LIVE in the Solution.

I know women that lost their sons to alcoholism (suicide) and they still have an upbeat positive attitude because of the 3 Cs. (they did not Cause it; they could not CONTROL it and they could not Cure it).

Well I rambled on........ thank you ...and as Cliff wrote (I adore him) I will repeat "Excellent Post Sue".

Betty Ann

P.S. the winter did get me Down at times... I tried candles and using my fireplace and stocking up on food and took time off from work... but I did get DOWN (same as last winter). (from lack of sun). We had a few MILD sunny days and wow, I would feel terrific and others too would be more upbeat and friendly and smiling more.

Someone suggested a sun lamp.. not sure .. but maybe will look into it (see if they are safe.. ).

Ms Hen's said...

03-03-09..

Passing an AWARD on to you...

Check out my Blog for details..

Betty Ann of Ms. Hen.