Friday, May 16, 2008

Proms and Graduation Parties

My youngest daughter is going to prom tonight. And, she graduates from high school in 2 weeks. I was telling my friend Shannon it feels kind of strange to know I've bought my last prom/homecoming high school dance dress.

She asked me if I felt sad. I pondered that for a moment. Not exactly sad; but I do feel something that is somewhat hard to explain. A mix pride and relief.

The relief is that I am that I'm at the end of the long tumultuous high school years with both my girls. Although I admit, I won't feel really comfortable until my baby is home safe tonight from the whole after prom thing. It seems every year you hear some story about kids and accidents and....well, I don't want to think about it.

And then there's the pride part.

I'm proud of both my girls, no doubt. Laura's motivation for life is inspiring. She's graduating from high school one year early. And she isn't waiting for fall to start college classes. She's starting this summer to get some of the tough classes out of the way. My oldest, Elise is successfully finishing her first year of college in San Francisco.

But I've decided that I'm proud of myself too. I did it! I got my girls through the challenging years of high school as a single mom. Although I know we've still got college to get through and my job as a mom will never be done, this one phase that I feared so much is almost behind me.

When Phil died I made a promise that my girls would be my highest priority. I was going to focus on my daughters and my career and put everything into supporting my family. Then, once they went off to college, I could focus a little more on me.

So, as I start planning Laura's graduation party, I'm thinking ahead...and I'm going to plan a second graduation party--for ME! Why not? I'm thinking it's really the parents who should get the graduation party. We're the ones who dealt with the raging hormones, stayed up worrying countless nights, struggled as our kids hung with friends we didn't care for, and boyfriends we wanted to clean a gun in front of.

yeah...I'm going to have a graduation party and invite friends who have accomplished this same huge task...as well as my very cool extended family. Sometimes I feel like it really did take a village to get my kids through high school. It's the beginning of a new phase of life for both of my daughters. And now, it's the beginning of a new life for me, too.

Now that's worth a celebration!

No comments: